After another week of exciting AHL action here’s what I have to say…
- Kyle Beach of the Rockford IceHogs was named Player of the Week after posting 5 points in 2 games. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come as the former 11th overall draft pick has failed to live up to lofty expectations. Power forwards do have a tendency of being late bloomers however, so keep an eye on him.
- The Worcester Sharks look to have turned things around after opening the season with 4 straight losses. They’ve since record 4 wins in 6 games with only 1 regulation loss. Alex Stalock has been playing very well since allowing 10 goals combined in his first 2 starts, allowing only 5 goals combined in his last 4 starts.
- The chemistry between Roman Horak and Sven Baertschi continues to grow as they led the Abbotsford Heat to back-to-back victories over the Toronto Marlies. Horak now leads the league in goals with 10.
- The San Antonio Rampage have yet to win a game on the road, but at least they have a 4 game home winning streak, the most recent victory being a convincing 2-0 shutout of Oklahoma City, one of the best offenses in the league. Dov Grumet-Morris was sensational in goal, stopping all 27 shots and denying the Barons on all 5 PP opportunities. He now leads the league in GAA and Save % for goaltenders with 5 or more GP.
- Speaking of the Barons, Taylor Hall made his long awaited return and scored a goal in his first game back. This should result in an even more deadly Barons offense and maybe the game against the Rampage was just an anomaly.
- I failed to mention him last week when I should have, but Gustav Nyquist has quietly been putting together a solid season for the Grand Rapids Griffins. He now has 11 points in 10 games and will definitely be a player to watch in the NHL someday.